These gorgeous and noisy birds flocked around the trees in my hotel, coming and going through the day. I confess to capture this image I did put some biscuits out which they did ask you not to do, as it is bad for the birds and teaches them bad habits.
It did mean I got visited by several birds including this handsome fellow who walked his way up and down the railing on my balcony and posed very nicely for several minutes. There had been a big rainstorm just beforehand so the light was very flat and dull, and the angle of the light was poor as well so I made some adjustments account for that.
Post processing steps – all done in LR5
1. Adjust exposure, contrast, highlights, whites blacks and shadows globally.
2. Even out the background tones a bit better
3. Local adjustment with radial tool to the top of the head to tone down the bright patch.
4. Local adjustment with radial tool to the beak to lighten the shadows and capture some of the interesting texture.
5. Local adjustment with radial tool to the eye to increase the clarity and make it pop more.
6. Give the yellow hue slider a nudge to make the yellow in the feathers to be a more correct tone – it really is very bright yellow 🙂
Taken handheld with my 7D mk 11 and I think the 17-55mm lens, I had time to swap lenses and this allowed me to get closer and get a better angle for clearing the background.
All comments and feedback welcome!