After my first experiment with the Swan I wanted to have another go, and found this fantail image I shot a few years ago in our Botanic Gardens and thought it had potential.
Spent some time searching in my textures and backgrounds and found this one that already had some faint flourishes and text and grunge applied so started with that.
Put the fantail image in, masked and painted it in with some rough spongy brushes which gave a nice textural effect.
In the class example the image was framed and part of the frame was removed so that it spilled out of the frame. Because of the shape of this image I was going to struggle with that concept so decided to leave it unframed, instead I planned to add a fancy brush flourish at the top.
However when I went into my brushes and started clicking on them to see what they look like – its hard to see what they really look like from the brush palette tiny images. Then a big swirly flourish popped up, and they do it at their full size and I went OOOH! I can work with that 🙂
Fluffed around with the colours, ended up sampling different colours from within the fantail image and went with this green.
Added in a Typography layer and fluffed around with finding a font that fitted, again sampled colours out of the fantails chest feathers to get this colour that was harmonious with the background.
Finally added some butterfly brushes in the corners for some added interest and balance, using the same colour as the text, and then blended in that layer at a lower opacity.
I had more fun with this image, constantly aware of the “Less is More” concept and trying to keep it subtle.
All comments and feedback welcome – I can’t improve otherwise!