I wasn’t hugely happy with my first attempt at this image with the Urban Rain style. After I did the Fantail version, which I like much more, it made me realise that the colours and tones were too similar and flat.
Did a bit of reading on colour theory which was interesting and decided to have another go at this image before I move on to Session 2.
Therefore I matched the swan image against several different backgrounds and opted to go with this more blue toned to provide some contrast against the more brown tone of the swans and the water – it was a murky day when I shot this and I may have overdone the WB a bit on reflection LOL
Post Processing Steps:
1. Find a suitable background to match the swans image.
2. Mask over the swan layer and paint over and around with with several water colour brushes, making the outside edge quite opaque.
3. Realise the background was a little uninteresting so added in a grunge layer that has some musical notes and writing across it – from the ever talented Katie Periet
4. Be not entirely happy with how the swan part looks and play with blend modes and settle on Hard Light and lowered opacity
5. Duplicated the swan layer, dragged it below the Hard Light layer and set to Normal blend with a lower opacity
6. Now to fluff around with flourishes – add a new transparent layer and fluff around with brush flourishes, find this corner one and establish it will be big enough. Muck around with colours for ages before settling on a dark teal to pick up similar tones in the background.
Stamp one brush, and then switch the angle around and stamp another in the opposite corner to frame. Blend mode Multiply at 60%
7. Add a new layer and another flourish in a tan colour picked up from the swan image and put at bottom of imate
8. Feel like it needs some vignette or darker framing – bring in a grunge edge from coursework which was two layers grouped together. Fluff around figuring that out and then inverted both layers so the edge was darkened and blend in with Multiply and Soft Light.
Decide enough is enough and stopped there!
All comments and feedback and suggestions for improvement welcome!