This image combines elements of two Awake Sessions – 2 Winter Soul where we combine elements and blend into a cohesive whole, and Whimsical or Scary – I went with Scary I guess 🙂
Winter Soul showed us how an artist pasted large heavily feathered elements into a scene and then selected the key element and then blended it in with textures etc to make it a whole image.
I struggled with this concept because I couldn’t find enough images that had the same colour palette and tonings and subject matter to work. While I was wandering through my library of images looking for something else I found the Zombie Run images I captured last year. There was also a city centre scene with lots of trees as well that matched the zombie backgrounds so I had a go.
Note this is the FIRST time I have ever sucessfully managed to use PS to select an image completely and properly, being able to add and subtract the bits that I wanted – an ability I had been deeply frustrated at not knowing how to do!!!
Post Processing Steps:
1. Identify the right images and bring into PS
2. Take the city background, desaturate the colours a bit, bring in a grunge texture and a second one to give it the zombie feel.
3. Select the group of zombies and paste into the image, tidying up the edges. Desaturate them a bit too.
4. Select the nun and bring her in in front of the group, and desaturate a bit.
For both zombie layers – lower opacity a smidge to make them slightly less THERE
5. Bring in a grunge layer and blend
6. Find the paint dribble brush and size to fit, play with colours til I got the right red and stamp in some big blood splots and a couple of smaller ones to fill the gap – blend with hard light from memory
7. Add a grunge framing to darken up the edges and add to over all feel.
Lots of learning and experimenting went on here but I had fun too 🙂
All comments, feedback and suggestions welcome!