Today I bought this giant vanilla meringue, setup the shoot – broke it apart, loaded it with greek yoghurt/creme fraiche, apricots and shot it.
Everytime I shoot I make ALL OF THE MISTAKES!!!
So here is what I learned this time round:
– taking time to setup the gear, style the shoot using a standin, getting the lighting etc right is well worth it
– pay attention to the positioning of your hero item on the food – in this instance it was the sliced fan of apricot – except I didn’t notice the first shots were of the BACK of it *sigh*
– if you are mixing up whites, make sure they are the same tones – the white of the board is quite blue toned but the plate is a lot warmer and then the meringue etc is other tones of white.
– cut apricots go brown quickly – I need lemon juice or something to stop that
I have two white long hair cats and the fur gets into everything! There are two in this shot and I didnt notice til 3/4 way thru, so most of my shots were wasted.
– tweezers are amazing – glad I am assembling a tool kit
– paper towels and a spray bottle of water are my new best friend – cleans up pomegrante juice off the background (and hands)
Food that is messily assemble just looks awful – you have to build it up in careful layers
I am TOTALLY eating this BTW !